Subject: Re: IK fixed in release
From: Peter Bowmar <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:22:34 +0800 (SST)

On Sat, 26 Aug 1995, Joe Angell wrote:

> Ummm... that's not a bug.  It's a feature.  It think the point is that 
> you can use a combination of IK an standard hierarchial movement 
> togetheer, and not be stuck with one or the other.  After you move your 
> Goal, just select the top of the chain and hit Create Key (return), and 
> then hit "Selected Item And Desenants".  That'll make keys for them all.  

Sadly, this will not work with Bones. Or at least, I can't get a 
"Selected Items and Descendants" requestor. I just says "selected Item" 
or "all items".

> And if you want to, you could parent you Goal to the top of the chain, so 
> when the goal is where you want you yous Create Key for Selected Item And 
> Desendants, and it's set.

Sadly, this also doesn't work for Bones. The only way I can see to do it 
is to have my last bone in a chain to have an IK goal of a null, then go 
to select objects, then select Null then move it, then select objects, 
then select the object that has the bones, then keyframe EACH BONE, then 
go back to select object, select null, move it bleah bleah bleah. 
Incredibly tedious. I realllllly hope this gets fixed...

  Otherwise, how could you decidedly break the 
> IK chain -- say IK isn't doing what you want, of you some exact 
> positioning or something weird?  This way you have full control.  Once 
> you play with IK with Restrictions, you'll realise just how good it is.
> 

This is a good point, and would be powerful if: you could parent the 
bones to the null, or the null to the bones (or whatever that allows you 
to Keyframe all the bones without having to reselect the object with the 
bones every time). Sadly, in the pre-release, you can't, unless I'm 
missing something (which I really hope is the case).

> It's an easy thing to program (making the key), but it's more powerful if 
> it doesn't.
> 

But waaaay harder to use, right now anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's stuff I didn't think of, but I can't get 
it to work...

> -- Joe
> 
--
Peter Bowmar <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]